Monday, April 22, 2013

Fireworks: The Process of Making a Music Video Part 12 The Big Finish



The last of the footage is now ingested and rendered.  The synch is working a little better, but the issue is the image itself. Some of the sequences are drifting in and out of focus. 

At first, I thought it might have been the scans from LomoLab, but, upon close inspection, the individual grains of the film were sharp, so it must have been the seating of the film in the camera. It could have had something to do with the speed of the hand cranking not allowing the film to seat itself properly. I was cranking pretty fast this whole project, though and this issue didn’t present itself until shortly after I switched camera backs. It’s an intermittent problem, so I may be wrong.

I’m relieved to have enough usable footage to finish the video, so its not a huge problem and the main vocal section with the affected footage is in the middle of the video, so I can cut around it and the fluttering focus becomes another part of the Lo-Fi aesthetic. After talking with Kyle about it, he was in favour of the “warts and all” approach to the footage. The aesthetic of the piece as a whole is fun and pleasingly “retro”. It definitely stands out, which is what Kyle needs.

The vocal piece at the lighthouse is synching up fairly well, with the footage being sped up, on average, 125%. This is a bit baffling to me because the calculations I made, based on the song being slowed down by 300%, then shot at (what I assume to be roughly) 6-8fps, transferred at roughly 10fps and having that footage sped up 300%. Somewhere in that fuzzy film math something happened. It worked in the end, so I’m not complaining, but still…

The vistas and other B-Roll shots are being sped up between 200% and 400% to create a time-lapse effect, which I think works quite well.

Completing the full rough cut took 4 long days in the edit suite in Edinburgh. The bed next to the computer became very handy after 12 hours of cutting footage. I emerged from the edit-cave with a very tight edit for Kyle.

There weren’t very many changes from the rough to the fine cut. The cuts were refined (with the help of a click track) and the final mix of the song slotted in perfectly.

With the edition of Kyle’s title cards (and a bit of “old film” filter on top of them), the video was pretty much finished. The “coming soon” end card can be removed after the album is released, so Kyle will have the option of including it on the CD, or even broadcast.



I’m really excited to see the general reaction to it. Lomomography is very interested to see it as well. They want to post it on their LomoKino micro site and publicise the “professional” uses of their little camera.


Jack Quick at LomoLab London was Brilliant! His hard work and willingness to go above and beyond is what made this project possible. I could not have completed this project without him!



Overall, I’m very happy with Fireworks. It was one of the most technically challenging films I’ve worked on. Of course there are things I’d do a bit differently, but hindsight is always 20/20…

Here it is, Fireworks


Here is a link to the Echo Bloom Micro Site